I know what you’re thinking: “No one will take my business seriously if I use illustration!” Allow me a few minutes and hopefully I can change your mind! Like most things, illustration has to be used correctly in order to be effective. Despite what you might think, because of it’s flexibility and endless list of styles, illustration might just be the perfect choice for your business.
Types of Illustration
Let’s start off by defining some terms. There are several different types of professional illustration. Some of them are:
- Character Illustration
- Spot Illustration
- Icon Illustration
- Logo Illustration
- Scene Illustration
Character illustration is what comes to most people’s minds when they think of illustration. This is when a certain character (human, animal or personified object) is used in conjunction with other elements like the logo to communicate the message of a brand. Think of brand mascots like Mario for Nintendo, The Michelin Man and Ronald McDonald.
Benefits of Illustration
Now that you know exactly what I’m talking about, hopefully you’re warming up to the idea of using illustration for your business! Let me give you some more reasons to love illustration:
- Illustration is completely unique to your specifications. Your brand will be recognizable, memorable and have personality, which makes you stand out from your competitors.
- Character illustration is emotive. Seeing an illustrated character reminds us of our favourite childhood cartoons, games and toys, making us feel nostalgic and happy. This powerful emotion is then attached to your brand through the unique character.
- Anything is possible with illustration! Literally anything! If you want to depict an out of this world character from the future or a caveman plumber or even a fairy lawyer, it is all possible with illustration.
- A picture says a thousand words. Not everyone can read and not everyone speaks the same language. So if your business targets a demographic that fits into one or both of these categories, illustration could be a solution to your communication woes. Bold and simple illustration that utilizes internationally recognized symbols can be easily and readily understood by almost everyone.
- Illustration is budget and timeline friendly! There is no need to hire models, pay photographers, dole out for art directors and rent expensive locations by the hour. Illustration can be done by one company or professional and take considerably less time than location photography.
What can a professional do for you?
A professional illustrator can help create an illustration for you that is not just a one-time solution, but is in line with your long-term business strategy. You might be tempted to ‘do it yourself’, but a professional will use industry standard tools to create the work. This means that your illustration will be able to be used with ease across print, web and any other platforms that you choose. Lastly, you can avoid costly copyright issues that can arise from using images found online.
I hope you learned something about illustration through this blog post! I’m sure you realize now that no matter what type of business you are in, there is an illustration solution available for you. Contact Banter today to discuss illustration that is right for your business.